Subject: RE: bug#20247: 24.4; Emacs hangs at startup in desktop mode

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 08:54:59 -0700 (PDT)

> > A better fix, I think, would be to do something like this:
> 
> If someone has the time to develop an even-better patch, that would be
> great. In the meantime, the question is whether the proposed patch
> improves Emacs.

All your patch does is make the _default_ value be one that doesn't
manifest the bug.  That does not sound like a fix, to me.  I would
hardly even characterize it as an improvement, though admittedly
some users might be less likely to stumble on the bug.

To me, this is, at best, papering over the cracks - and the paper
is very thin.

I certainly hope that the bug remains open, so this can be fixed,
whether or not your patch gets applied.  The bug will still exist.

> I don't use desktop mode and don't know the pros and
> cons of the various settings.  That being said, it appears that
> defaulting desktop-restore-in-current-display to nil caused significant
> misbehavior for a real use case, whereas defaulting to t would have
> worked for that use case. There is something to be said for choosing a
> default that is less likely to cause a bug, even if you have not fixed
> the bug in general.

There might be something to be said for that, but it is not much, IMO.

My recommendation would be to leave the default value as it is and
leave the bug open until someone can debug it and fix it.  This bug
should not be a reason behind the default-value choice.

What's the hurry to close bugs that would motivate not fixing them?