Subject: automake 1.15: tests-environment-fd-redirect hangs on RHEL 6.6, CentOS 6.6 w/ ksh 2012-08-01

From: Diab Jerius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 15:51:20 -0400

When testing automake 1.15, the tests-environment-fd-redirect test
hangs on RHEL 6.6 and CentOS 6.6 when testing ksh.

The ksh that is installed on the RHEL system is:

% rpm -qi ksh
Name        : ksh                          Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 20120801                          Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 21.el6.1                      Build Date: Thu 02 Oct
2014 11:53:05 AM EDT
Install Date: Fri 06 Mar 2015 08:19:23 PM EST      Build Host:
x86-022.build.eng.bos.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Shells     Source RPM:
ksh-20120801-21.el6.1.src.rpm
Size        : 1738447                          License: EPL
Signature   : RSA/8, Thu 09 Oct 2014 10:04:13 AM EDT, Key ID 199e2f91fd431d51
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.kornshell.com/
Summary     : The Original ATT Korn Shell
Description :
KSH-93 is the most recent version of the KornShell by David Korn of
AT&T Bell Laboratories.
KornShell is a shell programming language, which is upward compatible
with "sh" (the Bourne Shell).

(That on the CentOS system is equivalent)

To reproduce this behavior, unpack the automake tar ball in /tmp (so
the paths below make sense).

% ./configure

% make

% make check TESTS=t/tests-environment-fd-redirect
make  check-TESTS check-local
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/automake-1.15'
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/automake-1.15'

and it will hang.  To debug further, kill the build via ^C, and it
unfortunately deletes the log file:

^Cmake[2]: *** Deleting file `t/tests-environment-fd-redirect.log'
^Ctests-environment-fd-redirect: hard error: caught signal SIGINT
make[2]: *** [t/tests-environment-fd-redirect.log] Error 130
make[1]: *** [check-TESTS] Interrupt
make: *** [check-am] Interrupt

but, t/tests-environment-fd-redirect.dir will have been initialized.

So,

% cd t/tests-environment-fd-redirect.dir

% PATH='/tmp/automake-1.15/t/ax:'$PATH  /bin/ksh ./configure
CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/ksh
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes

and it hangs.

Thanks!
Diab