Subject: 24.5rc1; tramp error opening file

From: David Hull <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:05:52 -0700

I am running the emacs 24.5-rc1 version I downloaded from
http://emacsformacosx.com/emacs-builds/Emacs-pretest-24.5-rc1-universal.dmg

I started emacs with "emacs -Q".  I used tramp to open a remote directory
in dired by typing "C-x C-f /cos6:src/ds-advertiser-server/src/", where
cos6 is the hostname of a VM running on my Mac.  The VM is running
CentOS 6.5.  The dired buffer opened normally.  I then moved the cursor
to the filename "ds_adv_ox3_lineitem_v3.erl" and pressed the Enter key
to open it, and I got the error, "Error copying: `tramp_exit_status 1'".

This works correctly under emacs 24.4.

The directory /var/folders/y9/k3f9vqgn73gf64x8ktywlkd10r0222/T/ on the
Mac exists, and appears to contain temporary files from a variety of
programs.  However, the file
/var/folders/y9/k3f9vqgn73gf64x8ktywlkd10r0222/T/tramp.81932-Q0.erl does
not exist in the directory.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
 of 2015-03-27 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1344
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSDATA: /Users/david.hull/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /Users/david.hull/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp:/Users/david.hull/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/leim
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `cos6'
Tramp: Opening connection for cos6 using scp...done
ls does not support --dired; see `dired-use-ls-dired' for more details.
Tramp: Inserting `/scp:cos6:/home/david.hull/src/ds-advertiser-server/src/ds_adv_ox3_lineitem_v3.erl'...
Copying /scp:cos6:/home/david.hull/src/ds-advertiser-server/src/ds_adv_ox3_lineitem_v3.erl to /var/folders/y9/k3f9vqgn73gf64x8ktywlkd10r0222/T/tramp.81932-Q0.erl...
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
Tramp: Process has finished.
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Copying /scp:cos6:/home/david.hull/src/ds-advertiser-server/src/ds_adv_ox3_lineitem_v3.erl to /var/folders/y9/k3f9vqgn73gf64x8ktywlkd10r0222/T/tramp.81932-Q0.erl...failed
Tramp: Inserting `/scp:cos6:/home/david.hull/src/ds-advertiser-server/src/ds_adv_ox3_lineitem_v3.erl'...failed
Error copying: `tramp_exit_status 1'

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils dired
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice help-fns
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 99732 7013)
 (symbols 48 20448 0)
 (miscs 40 44 185)
 (strings 32 21088 4084)
 (string-bytes 1 646140)
 (vectors 16 13719)
 (vector-slots 8 450685 3688)
 (floats 8 265 111)
 (intervals 56 546 158)
 (buffers 960 15))