Subject: bug#20220: severe memory leak on emacs 24.4.1

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:26:55 +0300

> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 00:53:56 -0700
> From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Whatever bit of code is starting a thread (or otherwise permanently
> consuming resources) on ShellExecute is broken, not Emacs. I don't think
> I've seen that behavior myself.

As I wrote, I only see something similar on one particular system out
of 4 I tried this on.  And I'm not yet sure what I see there is what
happens on Mario's system.

> What's the thread start function on that new thread?

SHWLAPI.dll!IUnknown_QueryService+0x87 on my system where I see this.

> What's on its stack?

This:

  wow64win.dll+0x3fe3a
  wow64win.dll+0x1aeac
  wow64.dll!Wow64SystemServiceEx+0xd7
  wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x2d
  wow64.dll!Wow64SystemServiceEx+0x1ce
  wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x42a
  ntdll.dll!RtlIsDosDeviceName_U+0x23a27
  ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0xe
  USER32.dll!DispatchMessageW+0x5c
  SHLWAPI.dll!Ordinal173+0x287b
  ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x63
  ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x36

Mario, can you tell if you see similar things on your system?  I
suggest you verify that you have the same issue, by installing the
Process Explorer and looking in the Properties for the Emacs process,
in the Threads tab.  There you should see a new thread created each
time w32-shell-execute is invoked, and also the symbolic Start Address
of each such thread.