Subject: bug#20220: severe memory leak on emacs 24.4.1

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 05:47:39 +0300

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 20:19:27 -0600
> From: Mario Valencia <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> > However, I think that
> >"worthless" is too extreme, and not using it at all is too radical,
> >even if you can do nothing in terms of your system configuration to
> >bring down the amount of resources consumed by each invocation. One
> >thread and 8 MB of memory is not that large, unless you really invoke
> >that command tens or times in a row.
> 
> You are wrong. Calling shellexecute tens of times is very common. Just consider
> when editing an html file, saving and viewing the file may happen more than
> once a minute, so in less than 30 minutes it will hit the bug.

You can use the browser's "refresh" function instead, don't?  That's
what I'd do, regardless of this problem.

> Or when opening files with an external application in dired, if you
> open more than 30 files with shellexecute, it will hit the bug,
> which is not unlikely. Afterwards, after quitting the debugger, a
> few more times of calling the function and emacs will hang
> permanently.

Did you actually see this problem in real life, not with your recipe?

Anyway, I still think you should look at your system's configuration,
since I see nothing similar to this large memory consumption on all
but 1 system where I tried this.  So there are factors here at work
that depend on the system.