Subject: bug#20215: closed (Re: bug#20215: 25.0.50; Support compilation as PIE)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 22:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20215: 25.0.50; Support compilation as PIE

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20215: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20215
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20215: 25.0.50; Support compilation as PIE
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 18:00:26 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 27.1

>> ... it should be replaced by a portable dumper.

And lo, it was.

Compiling with -fPIE seems to work with the portable dumper that will be
the default for Emacs 27.1 onwards.

Subject: 25.0.50; Support compilation as PIE
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:42:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Currently when trying to compile as a position-independent executable,
e.g.

./configure CFLAGS=-fPIE LDFLAGS=-pie && make

Emacs segfaults when dumping.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-12-01 on touchstone.was.corp.google.com, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --build x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 76108 3865)
 (symbols 48 18176 0)
 (miscs 40 38 99)
 (strings 32 11196 4583)
 (string-bytes 1 304089)
 (vectors 16 10053)
 (vector-slots 8 395236 9639)
 (floats 8 72 61)
 (intervals 56 228 1)
 (buffers 976 11)
 (heap 1024 32389 968))