Subject: Re: bug#20206: 25.0.50; [PATCH] keep diff-mode's window visible when we visit sources from diff-mode

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:51:10 +0200

> I couldn't find an obvious way to contribute to the thread.

Please try a "wide reply", "reply to list" or "reply to all" to this
mail.

 > Anyway, I tried adding Eli's suggestions to ~/.emacs; this didn't seem
 > to make any difference, even if I temporarily remove everything else
 > from there.

What Eli meant was more or less

(setq display-buffer-alist '(("\\*Buffer List\\*" nil (inhibit-same-window . t))))

But this is still problematic because it will disallow reusing a window
that already shows the buffer list.  Even if you explicitly ask for it
as in

(setq display-buffer-alist
       '(("\\*Buffer List\\*"
       display-buffer-reuse-window (inhibit-same-window . t))))

it won't work when you do C-x C-b in the selected window and that window
shows the buffer list already.  You might call it a feature but when
`display-buffer' is used programmatically, popping up or using another
window to show a buffer already shown elsewhere is usually considered a
nuisance.

So something better is needed here.

martin