Subject: Re: bug#20206: 25.0.50; [PATCH] keep diff-mode's window visible when we visit sources from diff-mode

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:37:38 +0200

> Well sure. This was a contrived example specifically constructed to show
 > this behavior. The original bug report came from seeing this during
 > normal use of gud, so I still think the complaint is valid.

OK.  I believe you.

 > I think this is only a question of defaults. Specifically, any time we
 > (pop-to-buffer) or (display-buffer) in response to an interactive user
 > action, we should default to not covering up the user's buffer. This
 > would apply to use cases like gud, diff, cscope and so on. I don't know
 > enough about the development of this to know if it makes sense to change
 > the defaults only in the interactive case or in general. Do you see
 > reasons to keep the default as it is?

The exclusion would be one and one only: namely that the buffer these
functions are supposed to show has appeared in the selected window
before.  In general a user might want to see *Help* or *info* at a
location where she has seen it before and not literally jump through the
available windows of the frame.  Maybe this misfires in the case at hand.

martin