Subject: Re: bug#20206: 25.0.50; [PATCH] keep diff-mode's window visible when we visit sources from diff-mode

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 20:01:01 +0200

>>   > +  (pop-to-buffer (current-buffer) '(display-buffer-use-some-window (inhibit-same-window . t)))
 >>
 >> In any case `display-buffer-use-some-window' as sole action doesn't look
 >> right.  It should be preceded by `display-buffer-reuse-window' and
 >> `display-buffer-pop-up-window'.
 >
 > To be clear, this action came from two desires:
 >
 > 1. The (inhibit-same-window . t) is there to get the
 > dont-cover-up-control-buffer behavior

OK.

 > 2. The display-buffer-pop-up-window action is there to handle bug 19901.
 > There the user already has two windows, and by default a third is
 > created. It's less obvious to me which is the "right" behavior here, but
 > the earlier behavior of reusing the window seems reasonable.

Agreed.  But if you have a two windows frame and your settings for
popping up a third window would normally allow that, your solution would
nevertheless try to use another window in that case.  Wouldn't it be
sufficient to just use '((inhibit-same-window . t))?

martin