Subject: Re: bug#20484: bug#20202: Considered Harmful 73d213: 'Comint, term, and compile new set Emacs'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 12:51:51 -0400

>> I can think of several possibilities. In particular, the EMACS=t behaviour
>> of bash should also be replicable with bash -o emacs.
> I expect that this problem affects programs other than bash.  For example,
> tcsh 6.19.00 (the latest version of the first other shell that I checked)
> tests whether EMACS is "t".

It's not clear to me what "affects" means here.
The problem explicitly reported in 20484 is that directory tracking is
"turned off".  This doesn't sound particularly terrible (as long as
there's an easy way to get back the desired directory tracking).

So I think to make an informed decision, we first need to figure out *how*
all those shells are affected by having $EMACS be set to something else
than "t".

Maybe the best solution is to stop messing with $EMACS by default (and
hence change the behavior of sub-shells in negative ways for some
users), and then provide an easy way for those users to get back the
"fully featured" sub-shell they love.

        Stefan