Subject: Re: bug#20484: bug#20202: Considered Harmful 73d213: 'Comint, term, and compile new set Emacs'

From: "Phillip Lord" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 18:47:59 +0100

On Fri, April 8, 2016 5:46 pm, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> We will never recover from bug reports if the behavior they want is
>> not the default.
>
> The problem in bug#20484 is not due to a wrong behavior in Emacs but to
> a wrong behavior in shells (or at the very least a bad interaction between
> the two), so there's no point trying to "fix it" on our side only, since
> that just introduces other bugs (witness bug#20202).

I think the problem, at heart, stems from bash trying do the right thing
for Emacs. This is not made any easier by the fact that Emacs needs
different things, depending on whether we are in shell or ansi-term.
Really, Emacs should just explicitly request which features it needs,
rather than saying "I am Emacs, now be right".

> Regarding bug#20484 as pointed out by Philip Lord we can address it
> without breaking bug#20484 by only reverting the behavior in ansi-term.

And there is a simple workaround should we wish for consistent EMACS
behaviour in shell and term, which can be applied with in .bashrc or
having Emacs inject a command into the new shell.

It's "Phillip" actually --- the misspelling is one of the reasons I
normally go by "Phil".