Subject: bug#20201: 25.0.50; server-buffer-clients is not defined in minor-mode help

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:49:35 -0400

nick caruso wrote:

> At this point everything is fine.  I left-clicked the mouse on the
> "Server" minor mode indicator in the mode line, and selected "help for
> minor mode".
>
> At this point a buffer popped up in a new emacs window, containing the
> following:
> -----------begin buffer contents on next line----------------------
> server-buffer-clients is an alias for `server-buffer-clients',
> which is not defined.  Please make a bug report.

Thanks for the report. I don't think this ("help for minor mode") has
ever worked for "Server". The thing that server.el adds to
minor-mode-alist is not a real minor mode.
minor-mode-menu-from-indicator tries to call
(describe-function 'server-buffer-clients), which fails. But in 24.4 it
fails in a new way.

I think there are 2 (or maybe 3) bugs here:

1) A problem with describe-function, new in 24.4:

(describe-function 'not-defined)

24.3: -> Symbol's function definition is void: not-defined   # fine
24.4: -> 
  not-defined is an alias for `not-defined',
  which is not defined.  Please make a bug report.

2) server.el adding something that is not a minor-mode to minor-mode-alist.

3) minor-mode-menu-from-indicator lack of error trapping for when
describe-function fails.

1) definitely needs to be fixed.