Subject: Re: bug#20195: 25.0.50; Let Dired commands such as `dired-do-search' (`A') use prefix arg

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:32:59 +0300

On 31/03/2015 17:36 -0700, Drew Adams wrote:

>> A movement command
>
> I don't think there has been any mention of any movement commands.
> What did you have in mind?

I meant other commands like `dired-next-line', just for comparison.

>> is ok to take argument specifying a number of files,
>> because that number is related to that command's main purpose.  But here
>> files are collected according to marks set in the buffer, so it's kind
>> of duplication to provide the same functionality via prefix argument.
>
> See above.  There are *many* ways to do the same thing in Dired (and
> elsewhere in Emacs).  In and of itself, eliminating such "duplication"
> is a silly goal (IMHO).

But it's rather convenient to keep in memory that:

1) First mark files you want to process.  To augment mark behaviour
(e.g. mark all files in a subdir) specify prefix arg to the mark command
or use a corresponding specific command.

2) Perform search/replace.  To augment search/replace behavior (like
toggle word searching) you have to specify prefix argument to the
search/replace command.

> To be clear:
>
> 1. I don't really care whether Emacs adds that feature (multiple `C-u'
> acts on all, ignoring markings).  And that feature is not what this
> enhancement request is about.
>
> 2. As one user, I use that feature quite often (with Dired+).  If
> you don't find it useful, and you prefer to always mark and unmark,
> that's fine by me. ;-)

Yes, my comment was just a note.

Filipp