Subject: bug#20189: 25.0.50; Feature request: Alternative split-window-sensibly functions

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:15:32 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> With your suggestions, I finally came up with this which seems to
>> work exactly as I like it:
> [...]
>> (defun th/split-window-sensibly (window)
> [...]
>>        ;; Reuse the LRU window
>>        (get-lru-window)))))
>
> If the last form gets executed, you reuse a window.  Suppose it's
> reused for showing completions.  Then selecting a completion will, as
> a side-effect, delete that window instead of showing the previously
> shown buffer in it.  You probably won't like that.

Yes, I probably don't.  But I like reusing the current window even
lesser which would happen when returning just nil.  I also don't want
another split which would happen when I defer to
`split-window-sensibly'.  So what else can I do?

Bye,
Tassilo