Subject: bug#20183: 24.4.91; No resize handle to adjust width of Emacs windows

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0300

At 16:36 -0300 on Monday 2015-03-23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
>> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 16:15:11 -0300
>> 
>> but there is _no_ resize handle to adjust the width of an Emacs
>> window (when there is more than one window tiled horizontally
>> (side-by-side) on a frame.
>
> Yes, there is: locate the mouse pointer above the place where the two
> mode lines of the two adjacent windows meet.

Ah! There it is. (I think I maybe knew that once.)

I think it might be worth documenting this in the manual. Perhaps in
Section 20.5 Deleting and Rearranging Windows, which might be better
named "Deleting, Rearranging, and Resizing Windows".

Also a search for "resize" in the manual doesn't currently find this
section even though it is where the (keyboard-based) resizing commands are
documented.

On the other hand, this functionality is not something a user would
expect to have to look up in the manual. Resizing things on screen by
dragging a handle provided when placing the mouse cursor over their
boundary is a very commonplace, almost universal idiom; it would be nice
if Emacs could do this by default.