Subject: Re: bug#20178: 24.3; Two feature requests for tabulated-list.el

From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 01:51:31 -0400

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 8:26 PM Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > 2. When I use `electric-buffer-list', if I happen to click on a column
> >    header it sorts the buffer according to that header, and it even
> >    makes that choice persistent.  That's nice, I guess, but there
> >    should be some way to go back to the default original order -- and
> >    maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I don't see any good way
> >    to do that.  (If I hit it by mistake, the only way I found to go
> >    back to the default is to quit the electric buffer, then use
> >    `list-buffers' to get it in plain mode, then kill it so that it
> >    gets recreated next time.)
>
> Indeed.  So the default is to sort by whatever order `buffer-list'
> happens to return them in.  Which can of course be useful.  But there is
> no easy way to return to this sort order.
>
> I'm not sure how easy this is to fix, but:

(TBH, I don't even remember the context -- I was maybe looking for a
replacement for `bs.el`.)

> What is the expected behavior here?  Does it make sense to make `C-u S'
> go back to the default sort order?  Or should perhaps a right click at
> the relevant column header reset it?

FWIW, I'd expect a click to go from nothing to ascending to descending
back to nothing.

> (Note that `electric-buffer-list' is the same as `list-buffers' for our
> purposes here.)

(Just tried `electric-buffer-list` again, it is broken in an amusing
way for me, where a click leads to some infinite loop that keeps the
window top following the mouse...)

-- 
                   ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                  Eli Barzilay:
                   http://barzilay.org/                  Maze is Life!