Subject: bug#20178: 24.3; Two feature requests for tabulated-list.el

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 17:26:45 -0700

Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]> writes:

> 2. When I use `electric-buffer-list', if I happen to click on a column
>    header it sorts the buffer according to that header, and it even
>    makes that choice persistent.  That's nice, I guess, but there
>    should be some way to go back to the default original order -- and
>    maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I don't see any good way
>    to do that.  (If I hit it by mistake, the only way I found to go
>    back to the default is to quit the electric buffer, then use
>    `list-buffers' to get it in plain mode, then kill it so that it
>    gets recreated next time.)

Indeed.  So the default is to sort by whatever order `buffer-list'
happens to return them in.  Which can of course be useful.  But there is
no easy way to return to this sort order.

I'm not sure how easy this is to fix, but:

What is the expected behavior here?  Does it make sense to make `C-u S'
go back to the default sort order?  Or should perhaps a right click at
the relevant column header reset it?

(Note that `electric-buffer-list' is the same as `list-buffers' for our
purposes here.)