Subject: Re: bug#20164: 25.0.50; Do not tell users that `x-show-tip' is internal

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 20:03:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I agree that the calling conventions for `x-show-tip' seems to be much
>> nicer than `tooltip-show'.  
>
> If you do, please explain it to me, because the above arguments don't
> convince me, certainly not that x-show-tip's API is "nicer".  Maybe
> I'm missing something.

I think explicit parameters to a function is almost always to be
preferred to binding variables and then calling a function that takes no
parameters.  In this case, you're supposed bind `tooltip-{x,y}-offset'
according to the doc string.

> No need for guessing; see the short discussion starting at
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2007-03/msg00261.html
>
> The conclusion to take out of that discussion is that whoever uses
> x-show-tip should know very well what they are doing, which is another
> way of saying "kids, don't try that at home", a.k.a. "an internal
> function".

Makes sense to me, and I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no