Subject: bug#20145: closed (Re: bug#20145: (guix build download) leaks file descriptor on TLS connections)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 22:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20145: (guix build download) leaks file descriptor on TLS connections

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20145: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20145
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20145: (guix build download) leaks file descriptor on TLS connections
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 23:57:45 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> When opening an HTTPS connection, the file descriptor beneath the port
> returned by ‘tls-wrap’ is leaked.
>
> This is not a problem in most cases (downloads) because the process is
> left as soon as the download is over.
>
> This is more problematic for ‘guix lint’, which may open a large number
> of HTTPS connections for the ‘source’ and ‘home-page’ checkers when
> working on all the packages.

This is essentially solved by commits
14d6ca3e4dd23ee92adb5e2fcf58546e67534631 and
097a951e96718a037dbfa6d579e2d26f7dab3e82.

One still needs to be careful, though, for instance because closing a
chunked encoding port (which is a custom binary input port wrapped
around the real socket port) still fails to close the raw socket port
that’s behind the TLS session record port.

Ludo’.

Subject: (guix build download) leaks file descriptor on TLS connections
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 19:16:24 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When opening an HTTPS connection, the file descriptor beneath the port
returned by ‘tls-wrap’ is leaked.

This is not a problem in most cases (downloads) because the process is
left as soon as the download is over.

This is more problematic for ‘guix lint’, which may open a large number
of HTTPS connections for the ‘source’ and ‘home-page’ checkers when
working on all the packages.

Ludo’.