Subject: bug#20140: 24.4; M17n shaper output rejected

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 20:54:20 +0200

> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:13:10 +0000
> From: Richard Wordingham <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
> 
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:11:08 +0200
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I don't see the commands forward-char-intrusive and
> > backward-char-intrusive anywhere in Emacs, so I guess they are your
> > local changes, based on the code posted by Handa-san in this
> > discussion?
> 
> That's a shame; they are indeed local, sitting in my initialisation
> file (.emacs).  (I future-proofed myself too well.)  They are well worth
> adding to the general store of emacs commands, and mentioning in
> documentation next to forward-char and backward-char.

I've now added a similar feature to what will become Emacs 29 at some
future point.  The code is based on that old post by Handa-san, but I
decided to change its user-facing aspects: instead of new commands, I
added a new user option, which, if set non-nil, disables
auto-composition at point, and thus allows point to "enter" the
composed sequence.  I think this is better for 2 reasons:

  . no need to introduce new cursor motion commands, for which it will
    be hard to find a convenient key binding (using C-S-f/C-S-b will
    conflict with the shift-selection feature, for example);

  . the user option affects cursor motion by any means, so it's more
    general thus I hope will be more convenient.