Subject: 24.3; emacs 24.3.1 calc curve fitting bug

From: Tobias Höppner<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:09:43 +0100

starting calc-mode
M-x calc

entering a vector
v-x 5

and a second one

[5 7 9 11 13]

packing in one matrix
2 RET
v-p

so the stack look this way
1:  [ [ 1, 2, 3,  4,  5  ]
       [ 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 ] ]

now try to fit a curve

a-F 1 RET

Message: Model expression is too complex: a + b * x

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
  of 2014-02-22 on king, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS

Configured using:
  `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
  '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
  '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
  '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
  '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
  'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
  --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
  -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
  -Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x c a l c <return> v x 5 <return> [ 7
SPC 9 <return> 1 1 <return> 1 3 <return> 1 5 <return>
] 2 <return> v p a F 1 <return> = N <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t - e m a <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
v-
Working...
Fit to model: (Press ? for help):
Preparing rule set FitRules...done
Compiling rule set FitRules...done
Model expression is too complex: a + b * x
Working...
Model expression is too complex: a + b * x
Working...
Model expression is too complex: a + b * x

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils calc-stuff calc-map calc-rules calc-rewr calc-prog
calc-arith calc-aent calcalg3 calc-incom calccomp calc-alg calc-vec
calc-ext calc-misc calc-menu easymenu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)