Subject: bug#20119: 25.0.50; tramp-test30-special-characters hangs on Cygwin

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 17:39:07 +0100

Ken Brown <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Ken,

> This is another long-standing problem, but there's an easy fix, which
> I'll send in a second message.  (I want to wait until I have a bug
> number so that I can make a proper ChangeLog entry.)
>
> The test for the file name " foo\tbar baz\t" hangs on Cygwin, because
> Cygwin interprets the backslash as a Windows path separator; see the
> section "Forbidden characters in filenames" in
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html.  Here's an
> example outside of emacs:
>
> $ touch "foo\tbar"
> touch: cannot touch ‘foo\\tbar’: No such file or directory

"\t" shall be expanded as <TAB>. And leading (or trailing) spaces are
also not allowed in file names on w32; likely it is the same for cygwin.

I bet it is sufficient to add cygwin in the check of
tramp--test-smb-or-windows-nt-p. Could you, pls check?

> I'll send a patch shortly.
>
> Ken

Best rewgards, Michael.