Subject: Re: bug#20105: 25.0.50; Emacs manual, `i HOME RET' sends you to `Moving Point', which is wrong

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:25:49 +0200

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> For `i home TAB' you see these candidates:
> HOME
> home directory shorthand
> 
> In my setup I see also these two, but for some reason I don't see them
> with `emacs -Q':
> HOME directory on MS-Windows
> HOME directory under MS-DOS

I see all 4 of them in "emacs -Q".  Not sure why you don't; perhaps
because your build is very old (but I doubt that).  Do you have
INFOPATH set in the environment, perhaps?

> In any case, those with the uppercase HOME should presumably not point
> to node `Moving Point' (and, in particular, to the key `<home>'.  That
> is wrong.  Presumably, `HOME' should take you to some information about
> environment variable `HOME' or at least about the home directory.

I disagree.  In general, index searches are deliberately
case-insensitive.  In this particular case, you might assume that
everyone knows the key is called <home>, but a seasonal reader of the
manual does not necessarily know that; he could, for example, take
inspiration from SPC, RET, TAB, etc.  We shouldn't fail those users,
IMO.