Subject: Re: bug#20092: 24.4.91; False matches with incremental search in Info

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:16:30 -0400

> confusing behaviour that prompted me to report this bug.); and 3) if the
> value of search-invisible is `open' then the chunk of invisible text is
> made visible ("opened") temporarilly, and the match shown within it.

That's right.  But currently `open' doesn't actually work for text
that's hidden via text-properties (as opposed to overlays).  I think
that's the problem you bumped into.

I'm not sure what's the best and/or simplest way to fix it.
Maybe a first step would be to emit a message explaining that the match
is inside hidden text (at least so the user gets a clue about what's
going on).

> It seems odd to have a function (isearch-toggle-invisible) to "toggle"
> the state of a variable that can have three states; cycling seems more
> appropriate.

Agreed, tho the current implementation indeed toggles.

> In any case looking at the code, it does actually toggle
> (between nil and t), but also changes `open' to nil, and then one can
> never "toggle" back to `open'.

That's indeed another problem that should be fixed.

        Stefan