Subject: bug#20090: 24.4: linking to a position within an info node

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 21:50:59 +0200

> When the org mode manual discusses creating links, it gives an example
> of linking to an info node (the self-referencing example is
> `info:org#External' links). The manual continues, at node
> `info:org#Search options', to describe how specific positions within
> file links can be directly specified. This does work for links to
> regular files, but does not work for positions within an info node (eg.
> line 85 of node x).

Is there an official format for the line numbers in Info cross-references?

(info "(texinfo) Printing Indices & Menus") documents the format of
line numbers only in the index, not in the cross-references:

   * In Info output, `@printindex' produces a special menu containing
     the line number of the entry, relative to the start of the node.
     Info readers can use this to go to the exact line of an entry, not
     just the containing node.  (Older Info readers will just go to the
     node.)  Here's an example:

          * First index entry:   Top.   (line  7)

     The actual number of spaces is variable, to right-justify the line
     number; it's been reduced here to make the line fit in the printed
     manual.

The Info reader already supports this format in the index.