Subject: bug#20090: improperly closed

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 22:21:23 +0100

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> Bug report 20090 was perfunctorily closed today:

> 1] without the person who performed the action consulting with the bug
> reporter;

You're free to re-open the bug or create another one if you disagree.
For the record, I don't consider this to be a bug, but a feature
request.

> 2] without any discussion for over 2.5 years;

I hope you are not blaming me for that.

> 3] with a reason given that demonstrates that the person who performed
> the action didn't give the action much of any thought;

Yet, I gave it more thought than anyone in 2.5 years!

> In this particular case, the person who closed the bug apparently looked
> at the sentence fragment 'does not work for positions within an info node (eg.
>  line 85 of node x)', and confused the term `eg' with the term 'ie'.

How nice.

> At this point, emacs is uniquely inferior to all major 'word processors'
> in that it does not support the feature described in the bug, ie. the
> ability to link to a specific position within a document.
>
> Pretty basic, no?

Pretty inaccurate, actually. Org is able to link to a specific position
within an Org document, and to a specific line in any plain text
document.

Your feature request is to link to a specific position in a document
written in a foreign, processed format, namely Info. I cannot think of
any reliable way to do so (e.g., "going to the node, and searching for
a string" doesn't qualify as "reliable"). If you have an idea about it,
I suggest to first implement it as a custom link type, and open a proper
feature request, or report it on the Org mailing list.

Another option is to wait for 2.5 years again and despise the next
person to close this report.

Regards,