Subject: Re: bug#20090: 24.4: linking to a position within an info node

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 18:27:05 +0100

Hello,

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 03/12/2015 03:50 PM, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> When the org mode manual discusses creating links, it gives an example
>>> of linking to an info node (the self-referencing example is
>>> `info:org#External' links). The manual continues, at node
>>> `info:org#Search options', to describe how specific positions within
>>> file links can be directly specified. This does work for links to
>>> regular files, but does not work for positions within an info node (eg.
>>> line 85 of node x).
>> 
>> Is there an official format for the line numbers in Info cross-references?
> I don't know - my assumption was that within emacs, it would be
> basically just another type of emacs buffer, and be a legitimate subject
> for all elisp commands.
>
> Your question got me thinking, that emacs may have subtle rendering
> quirks, so just now, I opened fresh instances of info buffers in both
> very wide and very narrow windows, and they both `fill' to the same line
> length, ie the wide window has a lot of right-side white-space, and the
> narrow window has lines wrapped.
>
> Since I submitted the bug report, I've continued trying to get the
> feature working, and have been experimenting with the org-mode hooks
> `org-create-file-search-functions' and
> `org-execute-file-search-functions' to no success. The only, supposedly
> working examples I've come across for these functions are [1] and [2].
> If you know of other resources, that could be helpful.

Info links are also meant to be exported. Linking to a line number
doesn't sound portable. I don't think it should be supported out of the
box.

In any case, you can implement your own link types, if you need this
specific feature. See `org-link-parameters' for details.

> One other possible related bug I've found is that when trying to use
> org-store-link for a particular line number within an org-file, the link
> is created to the most recent header. One can successfully, manually,
> hack the created link, replacing the reference to the header with a line
> number, in order to be able to navigate directly to the desired line
> (all this, for a link target in an org mode file - this was done as a
> test, once I came across the original bug) [3].

Please open a new bug report if you think you found a bug. I'm closing
this one.

Thank you!

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738