Subject: bug#20084: comint-highlight-prompt overrides ANSI colors in 24.4

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 17:29:15 +0100

On Fri, Mar 20 2015, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> * lisp/font-lock.el (remove-single-text-property): Uncomment.
>> Hack it a bit.
>
> Please add a "font-lock--" prefix to it, or move it to comint.el and add
> a "comint--" prefix to it.  We could also move it to something more
> generic but its name should include "-face-" since its behavior is
> specific to the way `face' properties are merged.

I think it is a companion of font-lock-append-text-property and friends
and should be allowed to stay in font-lock.el as well.  All those
functions do something reasonable (though perhaps not particularly
useful) for arbitrary properties - and are documented to do so - the
only `face' or `font-lock-face' specific quirk being that `anonymous
faces' have to be treated like atoms.  Also, am I wrong that foo-- is
used for symbols which are private to the `foo' library whereas `private
to emacs' is achieved by not documenting things in the manual?

So, I would choose a name like `font-lock-remove-from-text-property' and
leave it undocumented.

(I'm talking about pushing it to the master branch only, since it's not
a regression against 24.4, as the OP noted).