Subject: Re: bug#19967: bug#20082: new warning from ar on rawhide systems

From: Pavel Raiskup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:50:12 +0200

On Wednesday 17 of June 2015 09:22:31 Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> Not sure whether some review has been done, so pinging once more to get
> some attention.  Otherwise I'll probably push those changes.

OK, I updated the patches a bit more and now just holding them in
praiskup-ARFLAGS branch for a while.

I noticed that at this moment 'gnulib' decides what will be the default
ARFLAGS, not libtool (since the time libtool started to be dependant on
gnulib -- and thus calls automatically GL_EARLY).

To gnulib guys:  I haven't done proper analysis yet.  Is the
gl_PROG_AR_RANLIB really expected to be called for *each* 'gnulib'
dependant project?  If yes, could we possibly at least set the ARFLAGS
default value to 'cr' instead of 'cru'?  See [1,2] for context.

>From libtool POV I'm not sure what is correct approach, should we let
gnulib do the decission about ARFLAGS, or should I rather somehow by-pass
the gl_PROG_AR_RANLIB.  Similarly automake (theoretically, AFAIK it does
not depend on gnulib yet), there is also some logic regarding ARFLAGS
variable..

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2015-02/msg00014.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-automake/2015-03/msg00004.html

Thanks, Pavel