Subject: bug#20077: closed ()

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 21:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20077: automake / silent-rules / $(V) when V= not set to '' or 1 or 2 (e.g. V=1234)

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20077: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20077
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 15:54:55 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Subject: automake / silent-rules / $(V)
From: Mirko Vogt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 02:06:40 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I just stumbled across an issue where a project fails to compile using
automake and silent-rules with $V being set to sth. else other than '1'
or '0'.

This is because of the following resulting Makefile code when using
silent rules:

AM_V_P = $(am__v_P_$(V))
am__v_P_ = $(am__v_P_$(AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY))
am__v_P_0 = false
am__v_P_1 = :

This breaks builds in environments such as e.g. the cross-compiling
framework OpenWrt - which also uses $(V), however with values other than
1/0 (e.g. V=99, V={c,w,s}, etc.).

The way automake behaves here it claims that variable for its exclusive
use. I don't mind automake using $(V), however if using such generic
variable names, please don't make projects fail when $(V) is set to
something other than 1 or 0.

My proposal would be to enable verbose output, if $(V) is set to
anything but '0' and to disable otherwise ($V is unset / set to '0').

Cheers

  mirko