Subject: 25.0.50; Remove non Common Lisp stuff from cl*.el libraries

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 11:02:33 -0700 (PDT)

In our `cl*.el' libraries we have some user-facing `cl-*' macros etc.
that do not correspond to anything in Common Lisp.  This seems
misguided.

We see this in node (cl) `Modify Macros', for example:

 "The following macros were invented for this package; they have no
  analogues in Common Lisp."

Why add them to a package that is for Common Lisp functionality (it is
"The GNU Emacs Common Lisp emulation package") if they are not part of
Common Lisp?

This is quite misleading, and it has led some people to think that
`letf' etc. are in fact part of Common Lisp.  Please consider renaming
these without the `cl-' prefix and moving them to a different library,
whose name does not start with `cl'.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-02-27 on LEG570
Bzr revision: b2a590d4e3dc692a97c1b53e015b945d84b4b4c7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs'