Subject: Re: bug#20056: 25.0.50; Remove non Common Lisp stuff from cl*.el libraries

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 11:21:52 -0700

On 03/08/2015 11:02 AM, Drew Adams wrote:
> In our `cl*.el' libraries we have some user-facing `cl-*' macros etc.
> that do not correspond to anything in Common Lisp.  This seems
> misguided.
> 
> We see this in node (cl) `Modify Macros', for example:
> 
>  "The following macros were invented for this package; they have no
>   analogues in Common Lisp."
> 
> Why add them to a package that is for Common Lisp functionality (it is
> "The GNU Emacs Common Lisp emulation package") if they are not part of
> Common Lisp?
> 
> This is quite misleading, and it has led some people to think that
> `letf' etc. are in fact part of Common Lisp.  Please consider renaming
> these without the `cl-' prefix and moving them to a different library,
> whose name does not start with `cl'.

Even cl functions that have the same names as functions in Common Lisp
don't always have the same features or semantics. I don't think it's
very important that the cl package mirror Common Lisp.