Subject: Re: bug#20036: 24.4.90; Emacs hangs/freezes

From: Justin Kirby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 23:40:27 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Justin Kirby <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>> Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 14:15:07 -0400
>> 
>> > Justin, can you tell when this started happening?  Is this problem new
>> > with Emacs 24.4.90, or did it happen before?
>> 
>> This is happening on a build from git branch emacs-24 on an Ubuntu 14.04
>> LTS. The problem has been occurring for all of the builds I have done. I
>> first did a git clone a few weeks ago. Sorry, I can't give an exact
>> date.
>> 
>> The default emacs24 package does not have this problem.
>
> Did you build the emacs24 package?  If not, could you please build
> Emacs 24.4 or 24.3 from the official source tarball on ftp.gnu.org,
> and do it in the same way as you build the emacs-24 branch of the git
> repo?  It is important to know whether there's a regression, or the
> problem is somehow triggered by some particular configuration.

I did a build from the official emacs tarball. The hang just
happened. The bt full is at the end. (I removed some report-emacs-bug
info because it was session based and I had to start a new session to
get that info.)

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2015-03-15 on ethiopia
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-Og -g3''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Features:
(shadow sort org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m mail-extr emacsbug nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnimap utf7 nnfolder
parse-time executable bbdb-gnus netrc network-stream gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache bbdb-message
bbdb-mua spam spam-stat bbdb-com crm gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nnir gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo smtpmail sendmail gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus-dired gnus gnus-ems nnheader
smooth-scroll helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired dired-x dired-aux ffap
helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive
helm-info helm-net browse-url bookmark pp helm-locate helm-help
helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp helm-plugin helm-external
helm-utils dired helm helm-source bbdb bbdb-site timezone dired-details
smartscan paren sanityinc-tomorrow-night-theme
color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow haskell-yas yasnippet
highlight-indentation flymake cc-defs eldoc company elpy pyvenv
elpy-refactor python json ido files-x etags cus-edit cus-start cus-load
savehist jabber jabber-notifications notifications jabber-libnotify dbus
jabber-awesome jabber-osd jabber-wmii jabber-xmessage jabber-festival
jabber-sawfish jabber-ratpoison jabber-tmux jabber-screen jabber-socks5
jabber-ft-server jabber-si-server jabber-ft-client jabber-ft-common
jabber-si-client jabber-si-common jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate
jabber-time jabber-autoaway jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates
jabber-events jabber-vcard jabber-avatar jabber-activity jabber-watch
jabber-modeline jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version
jabber-ourversion jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp jabber-browse
jabber-search jabber-register jabber-roster jabber-presence jabber-muc
jabber-bookmarks jabber-private jabber-muc-nick-coloring hexrgb
jabber-widget jabber-disco wid-edit jabber-chat jabber-history
jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert jabber-iq jabber-core jabber-console
sgml-mode ewoc jabber-keymap jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login
sasl-plain fsm jabber-logon jabber-conn srv dns starttls gnutls
jabber-xml jabber-menu jabber-util git-gutter-fringe+ fringe-helper
git-gutter+ ob-sh ob-python ob-R git-link magit-find-file dash
magit-key-mode magit view tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
shell help-mode grep compile epa derived epg diff-mode autorevert
filenotify git-rebase-mode thingatpt git-commit-mode server log-edit
message rfc822 mml mml-sec mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log org-jira jiralib soap-client mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode url-http tls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-gw url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap warnings
xml org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
ace-jump-mode-autoloads ag-autoloads apache-mode-autoloads
bbdb-autoloads calfw-autoloads calfw-gcal-autoloads
coffee-mode-autoloads color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow-autoloads
color-theme-solarized-autoloads color-theme-autoloads
dired-details-autoloads eimp-autoloads elixir-mode-autoloads
elnode-autoloads db-autoloads creole-autoloads elpy-autoloads
company-autoloads erc-hl-nicks-autoloads erlang-autoloads
fakir-autoloads find-file-in-project-autoloads flymake-autoloads
flymake-cursor-autoloads advice git-gutter-autoloads
git-gutter-fringe+-autoloads fringe-helper-autoloads
git-gutter+-autoloads git-link-autoloads goto-last-change-autoloads
haskell-mode-autoloads edmacro kmacro helm-ag-autoloads
helm-ag-r-autoloads helm-autoloads async-autoloads
highlight-indentation-autoloads idomenu-autoloads
impatient-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads jabber-autoloads
jedi-autoloads auto-complete-autoloads epc-autoloads ctable-autoloads
concurrent-autoloads json-mode-autoloads json-reformat-autoloads
json-snatcher-autoloads kv-autoloads magit-filenotify-autoloads
magit-find-file-autoloads magit-gh-pulls-autoloads magit-autoloads
git-rebase-mode-autoloads git-commit-mode-autoloads gh-autoloads eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core logito-autoloads
markdown-mode+-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
noctilux-theme-autoloads noflet-autoloads org2blog-autoloads
metaweblog-autoloads info easymenu org-autoloads popup-autoloads
pymacs-autoloads python-environment-autoloads deferred-autoloads
pyvenv-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads restclient-autoloads
simple-httpd-autoloads smartscan-autoloads smooth-scroll-autoloads
unicode-fonts-autoloads ucs-utils-autoloads font-utils-autoloads
persistent-soft-autoloads list-utils-autoloads help-fns cl-macs cl gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib pcache-autoloads w3m-autoloads web-autoloads
s-autoloads dash-autoloads web-mode-autoloads wsd-mode-autoloads
xml-rpc-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package
epg-config time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 585843 39124)
 (symbols 48 60567 0)
 (miscs 40 147 271)
 (strings 32 134317 16219)
 (string-bytes 1 4129750)
 (vectors 16 48905)
 (vector-slots 8 827625 26884)
 (floats 8 475 176)
 (intervals 56 723 0)
 (buffers 960 29)
 (heap 1024 75866 4471))

#0  0x00007ffff25b912d in poll () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:81
No locals.
#1  0x00007fffeee7ab72 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1
No symbol table info available.
#2  0x00007fffeee7c64f in xcb_wait_for_event () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1
No symbol table info available.
#3  0x00007ffff4c9a198 in _XReadEvents () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#4  0x00007ffff4c82751 in XIfEvent () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#5  0x00007ffff4cc8f24 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#6  0x00007ffff4cc9b80 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#7  0x00007ffff4cc9e71 in _XimRead () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#8  0x00007ffff4cb88a6 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#9  0x00007ffff4ca6b3d in XSetICValues () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#10 0x00000000004bd419 in xic_set_preeditarea (w=w@entry=0x6bfb7f8, x=x@entry=531, y=y@entry=741) at xfns.c:2107
        attr = 0x884c270
        spot = {x = 540, y = 2022}
#11 0x00000000004ac4c8 in x_draw_window_cursor (w=0x6bfb7f8, glyph_row=<optimized out>, x=531, y=741, cursor_type=<optimized out>, 
    cursor_width=<optimized out>, on_p=<optimized out>, active_p=<optimized out>) at xterm.c:7331
No locals.
#12 0x00000000004544a4 in display_and_set_cursor (w=w@entry=0x6bfb7f8, on=on@entry=true, hpos=59, vpos=39, x=531, y=741) at xdisp.c:27572
        new_cursor_type = 0
        new_cursor_width = 1
        active_cursor = 1
        glyph_row = 0xa489160
        glyph = <optimized out>
#13 0x00000000004adc53 in x_update_window_end (w=0x6bfb7f8, cursor_on_p=<optimized out>, mouse_face_overwritten_p=<optimized out>) at xterm.c:582
No locals.
#14 0x000000000041a8da in update_window (w=w@entry=0x6bfb7f8, force_p=force_p@entry=true) at dispnew.c:3535
        end = 0x44d8510
        mode_line_row = 0x44d8510
        header_line_row = <optimized out>
        changed_p = <optimized out>
        mouse_face_overwritten_p = false
        row = <optimized out>
        yb = <optimized out>
        n_updated = <optimized out>
        desired_matrix = <optimized out>
        paused_p = false
        preempt_count = <optimized out>
        rif = <optimized out>
#15 0x000000000041a96d in update_window_tree (w=0x6bfb7f8, force_p=force_p@entry=true) at dispnew.c:3210
        paused_p = false
#16 0x000000000041a955 in update_window_tree (w=w@entry=0x4e08f90, force_p=force_p@entry=true) at dispnew.c:3208
        paused_p = false
#17 0x000000000041c259 in update_frame (f=f@entry=0x5065b50, force_p=true, force_p@entry=false, inhibit_hairy_id_p=inhibit_hairy_id_p@entry=false)
    at dispnew.c:3099
        paused_p = <optimized out>
#18 0x000000000044bfd0 in redisplay_internal () at xdisp.c:14030
        mini_window = <optimized out>
        w = 0x6bfb7f8
        sw = <optimized out>
        pending = 0
        must_finish = <optimized out>
        match_p = <optimized out>
        tlbufpos = {charpos = 7827, bytepos = 7829}
        tlendpos = {charpos = 390, bytepos = 390}
        number_of_visible_frames = <optimized out>
        sf = 0x5065b50
        polling_stopped_here = 1
        tail = <optimized out>
        consider_all_windows_p = <optimized out>
        update_miniwindow_p = <optimized out>
#19 0x000000000044cd0e in redisplay () at xdisp.c:13207
No locals.
#20 0x00000000004e1cfe in read_char (commandflag=1, map=map@entry=50004598, prev_event=12005682, used_mouse_menu=used_mouse_menu@entry=0x7fffffffdbab, 
    end_time=end_time@entry=0x0) at keyboard.c:2570
        c = <optimized out>
        local_getcjmp = {{__jmpbuf = {0, -1, 4294967297, 32, 0, 0, 1, 5773536}, __mask_was_saved = 0, __saved_mask = {__val = {7884, 7885, 5777369, 0, 
                140737488345576, 55014536, 5789699, 7886, 5453221, 12193058, 21945392, 2, 0, 31544, 16038560, 16127458}}}}
        save_jump = {{__jmpbuf = {16207184, 5153361, 12005682, 8, 12038258, 21945397, 8283, 0}, __mask_was_saved = -9560, __saved_mask = {__val = {12005682, 
                12005682, 117046758, 21945392, 50004630, 4294967295, 12005682, 12005730, 2, 12005682, 5154634, 39574262, 12005682, 354443, 39919024, 1}}}}
        tem = <optimized out>
        save = <optimized out>
        previous_echo_area_message = 12005682
        also_record = 12005682
        reread = false
        polling_stopped_here = false
        orig_kboard = 0xccef60
#21 0x00000000004e3302 in read_key_sequence (keybuf=keybuf@entry=0x7fffffffdc70, bufsize=bufsize@entry=30, prompt=12005682, 
    dont_downcase_last=dont_downcase_last@entry=false, can_return_switch_frame=can_return_switch_frame@entry=true, 
    fix_current_buffer=fix_current_buffer@entry=true, prevent_redisplay=prevent_redisplay@entry=false) at keyboard.c:9088
        interrupted_kboard = 0xccef60
        interrupted_frame = 0x5065b50
        key = <optimized out>
        used_mouse_menu = false
        echo_local_start = 0
        last_real_key_start = <optimized out>
        keys_local_start = <optimized out>
        new_binding = <optimized out>
        t = <optimized out>
        echo_start = 0
        keys_start = 0
        current_binding = 50004598
        first_event = 12005682
        first_unbound = 31
        mock_input = 0
        fkey = {parent = 15799430, map = 15799430, start = 0, end = 0}
        keytran = {parent = 11985478, map = 11985478, start = 0, end = 0}
        indec = {parent = 15799462, map = 15799462, start = 0, end = 0}
        shift_translated = false
        delayed_switch_frame = 12005682
        original_uppercase = -630343639519895552
        original_uppercase_position = -1
        dummyflag = false
        starting_buffer = 0x14edc30
        fake_prefixed_keys = 12005682
#22 0x00000000004e48bb in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1452
        cmd = <optimized out>
        keybuf = {12182530, 15355634, 424, 2, 21945392, -630343639519895552, 390842032865, 106413414, 106413414, 140737488346676, 0, 0, 12005682, 5508093, 
          12053138, 106413414, 8513249, 12005682, 12005682, 5098287, 64, 12005682, 12005682, 5098583, 12253952, 4000, 140737488346676, 0, 0, 5511372}
        i = <optimized out>
        prev_modiff = 354443
        prev_buffer = 0x14edc30
#23 0x000000000053dbea in internal_condition_case (bfun=bfun@entry=0x4e45c4 <command_loop_1>, handlers=12057250, hfun=hfun@entry=0x4dcb44 <cmd_error>)
    at eval.c:1348
        val = <optimized out>
        c = <optimized out>
#24 0x00000000004d7eff in command_loop_2 (ignore=ignore@entry=12005682) at keyboard.c:1177
        val = <optimized out>
#25 0x000000000053dacb in internal_catch (tag=12053186, func=func@entry=0x4d7ee5 <command_loop_2>, arg=12005682) at eval.c:1112
        val = <optimized out>
        c = <optimized out>
#26 0x00000000004d7e97 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1156
No locals.
#27 0x00000000004dc7ba in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:777
        val = <optimized out>
#28 0x00000000004dca8a in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:848
        buffer = <optimized out>
#29 0x00000000004d7924 in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0x7fffffffdf88) at emacs.c:1646
        dummy = 0
        stack_bottom_variable = -1 '\377'
        do_initial_setlocale = <optimized out>
        dumping = false
        skip_args = 0
        rlim = {rlim_cur = 8720000, rlim_max = 18446744073709551615}
        no_loadup = false
        junk = 0x0
        dname_arg = 0x0
        ch_to_dir = 0x1353dd0 "\220\230\063\001"
        original_pwd = 0x0