Subject: bug#20036: 24.4.90; Emacs hangs/freezes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 18:02:41 +0200

> Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 11:37:58 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Then maybe the wrong display gets addressed when trying to
> show the cursor.

According to the backtrace posted by Justin, we are not in the process
of showing the cursor.  We are positioning the preedit area for the
input method's context of the selected window.

AFAIR, X input methods work by communicating with a specialized server
process.  So perhaps the events used for these communications somehow
get eaten and thrown away, or maybe the IM server has a bug or
something?

(I never wrote any XIM code in my life, so feel free to ignore parts
or all of the above if it makes no sense.)

Justin, can you tell when this started happening?  Is this problem new
with Emacs 24.4.90, or did it happen before?