Subject: Re: bug#20034: 25.0.50; [PATCH] gud never displays a source buffer over the gud window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 11:03:56 +0100

> Sometime between emacs 23 and emacs 24 the behavior of display-buffer
 > changed to show the buffer in the current window at times (emacs 23
 > always used a different window).

No.  `display-buffer' displays the buffer in the selected window just as
often as before the changes you mention.

 > On my machine this switches to tst.c on top of the gud buffer, replacing
 > gud in its window. With the attached patch this does not happen.
 >
 > This is similar, but not identical to bug
 >
 >   http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17675
 >
 > The proposed fix in that bug does not handle the above recipe.

Would your fix handle Bug#17675 as well?  And maybe some of the related
bugs in this area (see Bug#19901, for a recent example)?  There also was
a proposal to only "softly" dedicate some gud window to its buffer.  See
the thread entitled "Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el".

martin