Subject: Re: bug#20024: grub store is not copied to target system

From: Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:50:10 +0100

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:54:53AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 08:58:07AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>>Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>[...]
>
>>>> Shouldn't `grub' be in `%base-packages'?
>>>
>>>It could be there; OTOH, we don’t want to encourage users to bypass
>>>‘reconfigure’.  WDYT?
>>
>> Aha! Now it makes sense!
>>
>> Yes, you're right, but there is also chance that after initialization of
>> GuixSD and reboot you will have no way back to original distribution.
>
>As I wrote before, once you’ve booted into GuixSD, chances are that the
>original distro on that partition is in a bad state because GuixSD has
>fiddle with /etc and other global directories.

Irrelevant. As I wrote before - I have two separate partitions with root
filesystem. Problem is that when `guix system init' takes care of grub
configuration.

>> After my installation I got into state where Guix couldn't access network so
>> `guix system reconfigure' was not possible and my graphic card needs some
>> special care during boot to make KMS work (which I was hardly googling on
>> tablet to fix it).
>
>Could you explain the KMS issue in a separate thread?

Irrelevant. It is not related to Guix and it may be even fixed already in
vanilla.

>> We could just add note in documentation that one can add grub as system
>> package as safety belt and remove it when confirmed it works. OTOH this may
>> encourage users to bypass reconfigure even more.
>
>It’s enough to modify grub.cfg.  GRUB itself is not needed.
>
>But anyway, the take-home message is that if you run ‘guix system init’
>on your current root, then you can assume the former distro to no longer
>be bootable.

No, I'm initializing GuixSD root filesystem, not the Gentoo one.

Lets just stop to avoid further confusion.

I take it that my usecase is corner case and I should add grub as system
package by myself. My goal was to consider providing grub and you have your
reasons. And it looks like I have too weird setup - separate /boot, LVM,
bootloader chainloading. I have found my way to workaround it.

Please close the bug.