Subject: bug#20024: grub store is not copied to target system

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:05:37 +0100

Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 10:49:37PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>[email-masked] skribis:
>>
>>> With guix at revision df81e046c57e5f767738113e4e7a28b212c03d63 I tried
>>> to deploy Guix to another partition.
>>
>>Do you mean that you wanted to use a different root partition than the
>>one that was being used?
>
> Yes. I am running from my Gentoo `guix system init -c 3 /guix' where /guix is
> different partition planned to be booted as root filesystem for GuixSD.

OK.

>>> Result system installed Grub into partition but did not copied it's
>>> store to /gnu/store/ on target partition.
>>
>>Indeed, ‘guix system reconfigure’ assumes that the root partition
>>remains the same and does not try to copy the store.
>
> I'm runnning `guix system init' though.

Yeah your expectations for ‘guix system reconfigure’ were too high I
guess.  ;-)

Seriously, I don’t think we’d want it to automagically migrate the
store.

Maybe it could check whether the root partition in the OS declaration is
the same as the one that holds the current store, but I’m not sure if
that can be done reliably.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.