Subject: bug#20022: 24.4.90; window-body-height, window-body-width wrong value after text-scale-adjust

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:16:04 +0100

Joe Corneli <[email-masked]> writes:

> Adjusting the font size, I would expect that the window's "body width"
> would change -- more characters can be fit into the same amount of
> screen space.  Current behaviour does not match this expectation.
>
> M-: (window-body-width) RET  [Note result.]
> C-x C--
> M-: (window-body-width) RET  [Result is the same.]
>
> The function is described:
>
> "This function returns the width, in columns, of the body of window
> window."
>
> If for some reason the "nominal" number of columns needs to calculated
> with reference to the default font, then there should be another
> function to return the "actual" number of columns.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Skimming this thread, I think the conclusion here is that these
functions work as designed.  `C-x C--' reduces the size of the font in
the current buffer, but the "window body width" concept remains the
same.  (I.e., if you create a new buffer and display it, that's what
`window-body-width' is telling you the number of columns for.)

So I don't think there's anything to do here, and I'm closing this bug
report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no