Subject: bug#20022: 24.4.90; window-body-height, window-body-width wrong value after text-scale-adjust

From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 22:46:52 +0200

>>> Eli Zaretskii on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 20:12:34 +0200 wrote:

 > having a term that needs to be explained by telling how to compute it
 > sends a confusing message.

It gives an operational definition of "lines", which is a valid
definition. It's confusing to see 100 lines in a buffer and to be told
that there are 25 "lines".

 >> I simply need the number of characters that can be fit in a single line
 >> in order to set the sub-process output width.

 > This can only be meaningfully computed if the text emitted by the
 > subprocess will be rendered in its entirety using the default face.

Sure, but that's the case of window-height as well. It's based on the
size of a particular font regardless of what's contained in the buffer.

 > Not that I know of.  We could provide a function for that, if this
 > functionality is deemed important enough.

I guess the core of the problem is that having a width/height computed
using default buffer font is more useful than using frame default
font. Given that the docs were never clear maybe the behavior of
existing functions could be changed. Or an additional font-toggling
argument added to those.

  Vitalie