Subject: Re: bug#20020: 25.0.50; `info-display-manual' should reuse existing window where buffer is displayed

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 19:51:29 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't really understand what you did and what was the original
> problem, because info-display-manual already behaves for me like the
> OP wanted.  It has behaved like that from day one, because I wrote it
> to do so.  It only displays in *info* if there's not already an
> *info*<N> buffer showing the requested manual (and in my Emacs
> sessions, I never have *info* for long, I either kill it or rename to
> *info*<N>.

Yes, it reuses the buffer.  But the bug report is about window
behaviour.

> Maybe the problem is that the OP did this in dedicated windows?
> That's the only factor I could think of that is different from what I
> do.

Try this in Emacs 26:

M-: (info-display-manual "Coreutils")
C-x 2
C-x b *scratch*
M-: (info-display-manual "Coreutils")

You'll now have two windows displaying the same Info buffer, and that
was what the user didn't want (and I agree that it's not optimal
behaviour).  In the user's case, it was exacerbated by having the window
displayed in a different frame, but that's just a detail.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no