Subject: Re: bug#20011: etc/PROBLEMS: updates, wording, typos

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 09:10:54 +0000

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:49:22 +0000

 >> Please consider the patch MIMEd.

 >> * etc/PROBLEMS: Use 'which' where appropriate (was: 'that'); mention
 >> visible-cursor; a few more mentions of ~/.Xresources and xrdb(1);
 >> refer to 'GNU Coreutils' and 'X Window' (were: 'GNU Fileutils' and
 >> 'X Windows', respectively); other similar fixes and updates.

 > There's nothing wrong with using "that" in these contexts,

	AIUI, there’s nothing wrong with using “which” there, either.

 > it's pretty standard English usage, and we use it all over the place
 > in the Emacs documentation.

	Personally, I find “that” sentences somewhat harder to read
	/in general./  I still hope someone with English skills better
	than mine could re-check these cases and apply the changes
	suggested where sensible.

 > So please submit a patch without those parts.

	ACK.

 > Also, "X Window" is incorrect; use "X Window system" or just "X"
 > instead.

	Indeed, I stand corrected.  (Though it’s X Window /S/ystem.)

 > This part:

 >>  Alternatively, if you want a blinking underscore as your Emacs cursor,
 >> -change the "cvvis" capability to send the "\E[?25h\E[?0c" command.
 >> +set the `visible-cursor' variable to nil in your ~/.emacs:
 >> +  (setq visible-cursor nil)

 > replaces a recipe with an entirely different one.  Why not keep both?

	The former recipe seems to predate the introduction of
	visible-cursor.  I see no reason to keep it now that there’s an
	easy way to solve the issue without having to modify terminfo or
	restart Emacs, etc.  I presume that the more experienced users
	will be able to gather all what necessary for a terminfo-based
	solution from the “use software cursor” recipe just above the
	one at hand.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A