Subject: bug#20004: 25.0.50; nnimap should update unread counts from server

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 02:04:53 -0500

On 01/25/17 22:33 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> At some point in the Gnus usage cycle, nnimap servers should be updating
>> their read marks (and possibly other marks) from the IMAP server flags.
>> Right now, Gnus relies on its own read/unread marks, and will not query
>> the server for group flags unless you manually delete the "active"
>> parameter for a group, and force it to re-scan the group.
>
> If you're talking to a modern IMAP server, then Gnus will issue QRESYNC
> commands to the server and will get all new events that have happened.
> This includes read/unread marks and all the rest.
>
> If the server doesn't support that, there's not much that Gnus can do
> without agressively re-requesting all the data on the server, and that's
> going to be s-l-o-w.  So I don't think this is a bug.

This was almost certainly an early confusion on my part about how nnimap
works, thanks for closing.