Subject: bug#19993: 25.0.50; Unicode fonts defective on Windows

From: Ilya Zakharevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:49:39 -0700

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:41:39PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Choosing the first font which has a subset of a character “identified”
> > > is not a reasonable thing to do.
> > 
> > See my other messages: I'm not sure we actually do that.  It's
> > possible that the subrange test is used only as a filter, after we
> > already identified the candidate fonts.
> 
> In fact, it's almost certainly a filter: at least my reading of
> ww32font.c:font_matches_spec is that if the font spec specifies a
> script, then fonts that do NOT have the corresponding subrange bit set
> are rejected.

I think you have misidentified the problem.  Note that in my
“algorithm”, this condition is ALSO used as a filter.

So the real question is not whether the presence of a Subset is used
as filters, but: is

    the presence of the required character in the font

used as a filter.

Ilya