Subject: Re: bug#19993: 25.0.50; Unicode fonts defective on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:18:25 +0200

> Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 14:13:51 -0800
> From: Ilya Zakharevich <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 11:12:17PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > This will set up the default fontset to use Symbola for the
> > Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols block:
> > 
> >   (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" '(#x1d400 . #x1d7ff) "Symbola")
> 
> I do not follow.  What is going on now?  Are you saying that it should
> NOT work out-of-the-box?

On the slim chance that you'd like this to work for you, and didn't
yet figure it out, I described what worked for me.

Also, others who read this discussion, now or in the future, might
benefit from this information.

> And what fontset-default has to do with this discussion?  It is not
> used by Emacs, right?

AFAICT, it _is_ used.  At least if I evaluate the above in "emacs -Q",
and then type characters in the range, they are displayed using
Symbola, instead of showing a box with hex code, per glyphless
character display.