Subject: Re: bug#19990: 24.4; Bad resizing interaction when WM ignores size hints

From: Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 18:19:23 +0100

On 03/06/2015 06:05 PM, Jan D. wrote:
>> Since we receive the first ConfigureNotify event with the unhinted
>> width/height, we *can* detect that the size hints have been ignored.
>> Couldn't we disable them at that point?
> 
> At what point would we re-enable them?

...

>> hints, but *without* having Gtk+ do it's mess? This would mean that we
>> would need to set the hints back on when the resize request has been
>> fully settled. Tricky. Setting them back-on on a further repaint/focus
>> in/out event is either too late or not enough.

Re-enabling them once at the first repaint (out of the resize handler)
*might* work, depending on how Gtk keeps its state. If the WM is
ignoring hits, we would be disabling/re-enabling Gtk hints at each event
when "live" resizing, though.

I would need to try or read Gtk sources to be sure. Maybe Gtk has some
synthetic events that we could use.

If not, leaving them disabled would still be a better option.