Subject: 24.4; Bad resizing interaction when WM ignores size hints

From: Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 12:38:01 +0100

I'm using a tiling window manager with the GTK+ port of emacs 24. I
force the emacs frame to take the height of the entire screen.

After resizing, the minibuffer position is not aligned to the bottom of
the frame, but it's logically aligned to the last full line, leaving an
un-painted margin at the lower border of the frame (test_before.png).

However, when receiving a FocusIn event (just by cycling focus), emacs
properly aligns the minibuffer to the bottom, and displays a
partially-visible line just above the minibuffer (test_after.png).

I realize this is a very minor issue and ignoring size hints is bad(tm),
but since emacs properly aligns the minibuffer with
toggle-frame-fullscreen in order to fit the screen it shouldn't be hard
to fix.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2014-12-09 on gaia, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'