Subject: Re: bug#19990: 24.4; Bad resizing interaction when WM ignores size hints

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 09:04:34 +0100

>> Do you mean you want hints honored when the frame is floating and not
 >> honored when the frame is tiled?
 >
 > Yes.

How do you switch from floating to tiling mode and back?  Ideally,
tiling mode would set `frame-resize-pixelwise' to t with the appropriate
size hints and floating mode would reset it but that's hard to achieve
without the necessary information.  How does, for example,

 >> Using awesomewm you can set "size_hints_honor = false"

work in practice?  Is this a setting Emacs could inspect somewhere?

 > Yes. The second/third event I saw while debugging are not coming from
 > the window manager. I suspect it's GTK trying to reconfigure the window
 > according to the size hints (and failing).

So IIUC you get two xg_frame_resized events.  The first event seems to
come from your window manager and the requested size does not obey the
size hints.  The second event seems to come from Gtk and the requested
size obeys the previous hints.  Does anything significant happen in
between these two events?  That is, does Emacs issue a
xg_frame_set_char_size request and does x_wm_set_size_hint get called?

martin