Subject: bug#19990: 24.4; Bad resizing interaction when WM ignores size hints

From: Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 20:30:57 +0100

On 03/04/2015 08:22 PM, Jan D. wrote:
> Hi.
> 
>> 4 mar 2015 kl. 19:53 skrev Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]>:
>> 
>> On 03/04/2015 07:45 PM, martin rudalics wrote:
>>> In x_wm_set_size_hint we disable size hints for fullscreen and
>>> maximized frames.  Is it that what you mean with "as done in 
>>> xg_frame_set_char_size"?
>> 
>> Yes. The second/third event I saw while debugging are not coming
>> from the window manager. I suspect it's GTK trying to reconfigure
>> the window according to the size hints (and failing).
> 
> Gtk+ does have code that tries to resize a window if it did not get
> the size it requested. Also, it does try to satisfy the size hints
> itself, which is wrong.  Hints are for the window manager to respect
> or ignore as it wishes.  It is nothing wrong with ignoring hints.
> They are, after all, just that, hints. This is an example why it
> doesn't work to do what Gtk+ does.  This is a major Gtk+ bug IMHO. 

As I suspected, I recall having the same issue on my programs since
Gtk1.3, and I never exactly understood why Gtk behaved like that.

> I'm afraid it is out of Emacs control.

Since the gtk interface has some issues, is there anything really worth
in it compared to lucid? I switched to the gtk port only when debian
make it default, getting the impression that lucid was receiving less
love. Maybe rendering through gdk is faster?

Pure curiosity.