Subject: bug#1999: no emacs server variable `server-name'

From: "Stefan Monnier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 02:56:04 -0500

>> Reading parts of the documentation I see:
>> (info "(emacs)Emacs Server")
>> You can run multiple Emacs servers on the same machine by giving
>> each one a unique "server name", using the variable `server-name'.
>> For example, `M-x set-variable <RET> server-name <RET> foo <RET>'
>> sets the server name to `foo'.  The `emacsclient' program can
>> specify a server by name, using the `-s' option (*note emacsclient
>> Options::).

> There are several ways to set it (with --daemon=myname, or --eval, or
> M-: (setq ...)), but you're right: the documentation states that it is
> settable with set-variable, and it is not. At the very least it should
> be

>   (defvar server-name "server"
>      "*Name of the server process.")

We could add a * indeed, although I'm not convinced it's very useful to
set it interactively.

>   (put 'server-name 'variable-interactive "M")

No idea what this does.

> if not a defcustom.

That's another option.

        Stefan