Subject: bug#19989: 25.0.50; Build instructions on Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 03:04:10 +0100

Ilya Zakharevich <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 03:14:29PM +0100, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Another option is to recommend MSYS2 for those interested on building
>> Emacs on Windows. It is a straightforward process.
>
> Is there any technical reason for not going the way of
>   CC=i686-pc-mingw32-gcc
>   LINK=i686-pc-mingw32-gcc
>   ./configure
>   make
> in cygwin’s bash?

I can't comment on that because I stopped using cygwin long time ago,
but the main advantage of MSYS2 is that it just requires to run one
installer and then it resolves the dependencies problem (which is the
real hurdle) since all those dependencies are available from its package
repository and can be installed with one command:

$ pacman -S <list of required packages>

I intend to provide a script that runs that command so the user does not
need to figure out the list.